Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Crossing the River was published the July issue of "Living Today"




Crossing the River

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.

Isaiah 43:2 (NIV)

            A few days ago I decided to take a walk to my daughter’s house. To get there I have to cross the Auglaize River. When I was on the bridge that spans it, I stopped for a few minutes and watched the water as it flowed swiftly towards the East. It had rained and the water level was up.

            As I stood there, almost hypnotized by the water, (it has that effect on me) the thought crossed my mind that if there was no bridge, I wouldn’t be able to get to my daughter’s house that day. Swimming across the waters, or taking a canoe as a Native American mother would have done were not options for me.

            With the river flowing beneath my feet that day, my mind also flashed back to a book my mom read to me and my siblings when we were growing up. She would read it to us in the evenings during “family altar” time. If you are unfamiliar with that term, I’m sorry; it means you missed out on something very special.  

            The book Mom read to us was Little Pilgram’s Progress. It’s the children’s version of Pilgram’s Progress written by John Bunyan in 1678.  It’s the story about a young man named Christian. One day, he heard about a place called the Celestial City and decided he wanted to go there. The story is the account of his journey to the city that represents Heaven

            Mom read that book to us at least once a year, so the story has stayed with me--especially the last two chapters. Chapter forty eight is called, “The End of the Journey.”  (I know that because I have the book in my lap now as I write this.  It’s old and tattered, and the pages are falling out of it, but it’s one of my most precious possessions.)

            Watching the river last week reminded me of that chapter of the book. This is how it starts: “Little Christian clasped his hands together as he felt the cold waters of the Dark River rushing round his body. Hopeful (his friend) kept close to him and tried to hold him up; but the little pilgrim soon lost his footing, and cried out, “I’m sinking! The water is all going over me!”

            The account of them crossing their final river is one that still brings tears to my eyes. As a hospice nurse, I have had the honor of sitting at the bedsides of many men and women as they cross their own final rivers.  I believe, if they too have taken the same journey as little Christian, they will be able to open their eyes during the crossing and feel the light from the Celestial City fall upon their faces. Little Christian’s words from the middle of the river were these: “Oh I can see it all now! It shines like the sun, and I heard the voice of the Prince. He said, ‘I will be with you in the waters.’”

            I wonder sometimes if the story of little Christian’s crossing of the river led to my decision to become a hospice nurse.  I do know, because of my career choice, I am fascinated with end of life stories. The details of the soul’s crossing from this life to the next vary a great deal, but certain common threads can be seen. Typically, if there is water, it represents a boundary between this world and the next. The crossing of that boundary does not involve a bridge like the one I stood on last week. It involves faith that as we pass through the waters, God will be with us.

            © 2013 Brenda J. Young

(Author’s note: The 60th anniversary copy of Helen L. Taylor’s Little Pilgram’s Progress is now available on Amazon. I promise it will be the best $7.75 you will ever spend)

No comments:

Post a Comment