Pages

Saturday, June 15, 2013

My Dad, the Garden Caretaker


The Garden Caretaker
 

          “Die when I may, I want it said of me by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”-Abraham Lincoln  

My dad is eighty two years old. You think I’m going to write about the challenges of children taking care of their aged parents, don’t you?  Guess again, I am writing about my dad!  He is one of those tough old guys and will probably be taking care of me when I’m eighty!
When I came across the above quote, I immediately thought of him. He loves to garden. He plants anything he can get his hands on; vegetables, flowers, bushes and trees.  No one wants to mow his grass for him because there are too many things to mow around. So he does it himself.
To get to his vegetable garden you have to go down a steep hill. Not a little hill; one that goes down to the river. Needless to say when you go down, you also have to come up. Every year, he says to me, “you want to see my garden?” I do want to see his garden and I don’t mind going down the hill to see it, but I think he should install an escalator to get me back up the hill.
            He goes to the garden several times a day and until a couple of years ago he mowed the hill with a push mower, going up and down, not across. When I tell him he is going to have a heart attack someday, going up and down that hill, he tells me he can’t think of a better way to die. See, I do try to take care of him, he just won’t let me.
His garden is always perfect; everything is in straight neat rows, absolutely no weeds anywhere in sight. His greatest frustration is the deer, the geese and raccoon who roam the river who find their way to his garden. He has tried everything to keep those varmints out of his
His flower gardens are equally perfect. People actually drive or walk by his house just to see his flowers. No painting in the world has more color than his flower garden.  It makes my back hurt when I see him working in those flower beds.
When I was a child he parented and cared for me like he gardens. Diligently and with great care.  He taught me that my life could be as productive as his gardens if I would allow the seeds of kindness and goodness and love to grow. He taught me that the weeds of life: anger, bitterness, jealousy, if allowed to grow would soon take over the garden of my life.
            Probably the most important thing he taught me was if I did allow the weeds to creep in, the Master Garden would always be available to get rid of them for me. Without the Master Gardener the garden of my life would probably be very unproductive.
I am grateful today that the Master Gardener allowed my dad to be the caretaker of the garden of my life when I was young. Because of his diligence my life has been blessed and I hope it reflects his love for me.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment