Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Published in April Living Today, The Ultimate Artist


 
The Ultimate Artist

“And God saw everything that He had made, and, behold, it was very good.”

Genesis 1:31 (KJV)

            When I was told this month’s topic for Living Today was “Awesome Artists”, I literally groaned.

            `“Why?”

             Because the knowledge I have of the arts, whether it be the fine arts or performing arts can be contained on the top of a pin head.

            I have tried, honestly, to cultivate an interest in them. I’ve even been to art museums! In those massive and intimidating (to me) buildings, I stood and studied the paintings, the drawings and the sculptures. Most of the time, I came away shaking my head because I could rarely see the beauty in the objects displayed there.

             I’ve read reviews of works of art, and listened to artists speak with passion about the beauty of architecture, printmaking, digital graphics and film-making. I’ve admired the beautiful ornate buildings in Chicago, and sat in awe as I watched The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. I held my breath as I traveled over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and wondered how it was possible to create an artistic structure that was not only beautiful, but functional.

            There have been times when I agreed with those who appreciate art, some works of art are fascinating. But most of the time, I find the artists to be more fascinating than their works.

             I have to admit, I’ve never experienced any earth shaking emotion about any kind of art. Perhaps what I’m really admitting is that I’m not a very cultured person. In fact, I even had to look up the definition of an artist when I was writing this. An artist is someone who does something skillfully and creatively.

             As I thought about that definition, one particular Artist did come to mind.            He is the one and only Artist whose works have brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart.

            I read in the Bible that He started with nothing. Like an artist with an empty drawing pad and a sculptor with just a lump of clay, my favorite artist began His creation in a void.  But His creativity has never been matched by any other. My list of his best works is long and there isn’t a day that goes by, when I don’t admire His creativity.

            He is a painter and I can wake at dawn and watched in awe as He uses the sky for His canvas. His sunrises are usually a parade of resplendent color that can take my breath away. Throughout each day, and in any season, I can continually watch His hand at work. He paints gardens of tall red tulips and top-heavy yellow daffodils in the springtime. He paints fields of golden grain in summer, hills alive with color in the fall and trees frosted with snow in the winter.

            He paints the night sky with the moon and a billion stars and His landscapes are of powerful oceans and tall majestic mountains.

            He is a sculptor too, and His sculptures range from towering redwoods to tiny blades of grass and the drop of dew on a rose in the early morning.

            As I explored the world of artists, I discovered that a person who creates fragrances is called a perfumer. My favorite Artist is one of those too. He creates the scents of clover hay, ripening apples and sweet alyssum.

            My favorite Artist is also a musician. Go outside and away from the noise of people on any summer night, and you’ll hear a musical arrangement of cicada, frogs and crooning birds.  He is a master at writing symphonies and I have several favorites He has created. I am in awe of the sound of a mother’s voice that can calm a fretful child.  But none is as beautiful to my ears, as the sound of grandchildren’s laughter, as they run and play on a summer’s day.

            In my study of art this week, I was reminded that writing is an art too. And it just so happens that my favorite Artist has written the most amazing love story. 

            The story begins in a beautiful garden where the Writer finds Himself surrounded by perfection He created. But He's all alone and wants someone to share his garden with Him. So, He creates a man in his own image and He breathes into that man, the breath of Life. Then, the ultimate Creator of all beauty gave to man, a gift. He looked around the garden and said to him, “all of this is yours.”

            But man wasn't happy with what his Creator gave him, he wanted more. The story changes when the man insists on having his selfish desires…and the relationship with the One who created him is changed forever too.

            But the love story doesn’t end there. Thousands of years down the road, the Creator once again looked around His garden, and was saddened by the way man had destroyed it and himself. So He gave another Gift to the man He created. He sent His only Son to the garden, to draw man back to Himself.

            And today, every human being gets to decides for himself what his relationship with his Creator will be. The last chapter of the love story in not completed. You will be the artist and write that one yourself.

© 2013 Brenda J. Young

 

No comments:

Post a Comment