Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Happy Birthday Mom


                        Mother’s Golden Threads

                                                   By Katherine Suman

There she sits with lowered head

Her work before her, needle and thread.

Her stitches small, straight and neat,

She’s my Mother, loving and sweet.

She sews for fun, for pleasure, for all

For a grown daughter, a grandchild, small.

Not only garments, neat and fine

But Mother has fashioned this life of mine.

She has sown her influence, faithful and true

In and out, all my life through.

A bit of encouragement, a kind word said

Patient and sure with her golden thread.

When oft I questioned her handiwork,

When the stitches were deep and I would shirk.

Her thimble of love would ease the thread through.

And with each stitch, the child grew.

She stitched the thread of courage ‘mid strife

And the thread of joy to brighten my life.

The threads of laughter, love and peace

And a faith in God that does not cease.

But now, she’s handing something to me,

The needle, the thread and the thimble, all three.

And says, “It’s time you stitched for others.”

Lord, make me worthy of this gift of Mother’s.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should use one of her poems in the dedication section of all your books then she could be published too and the world can enjoy the poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete