Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

The Seasons of LIfe

 
Unlike the seasons of the year that have exact dates for arriving, I'm unsure when the Autumn of my Life officially started. I used to think it would start when my first grandchild arrived, but that was over twenty years ago, and I was still in the summer of my life. (I was only 41 and that's still summer!)
 
Then I thought it would occur when I turned 50. But as I look back at that whole decade, there is no way I was in the autumn of my life then. Those years were so much fun, and I experienced many new things, and met some amazing people. It was definitely a decade of emotional and spiritual growth. Things grow in the summer, right?

Now, I'm thinking that the autumn of my life started when I turned sixty. I remember thinking then that my life was more that half over, my career was coming to an end, and my children were well established in the summers of their lives. Since it seemed unlikely that my girls and I could be in the same season, I decided to allow the reaping to begin.

I doubted that autumn could be as wonderful as spring and summer were, but I have been proven wrong. It is beautiful. Thankfully, I am still being blessed with good health, and I feel at peace emotionally and spiritually. Not only that, I have some amazing helpers who are assisting me in the reaping of what has been sown over the years.

One of those helpers right now is a six year old grandson named Jack. Just like all nine of my grandkids, he is unique. And my love for him is unique. Today, I'm not just grateful for Jack's love, I'm glad that he enjoys helping me pick apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment